Contemporary dyslexia research finds that children who have difficulty reading and writing these mirror-image letters do not have simple visual perceptual difficulties as previously thought. Instead, their problems arise from lack of quick naming, and automatic phonological recognition of letters, leading to reading fluency, writing, and spelling and issues.
This package includes eleven sequenced research-based activities to help students with persistent reversals. This program builds automaticity of oral, phonological, and written use of these frequently confused letters.
• Based on research including MRI studies with children and designed by an Occupational Therapist with 25 years experience working with children.
• Progress monitor sheet documents progress and makes the flow of activities apparent as the steps are mastered.
• Fun and engaging multisensory activities include hand shapes, whole body movement, flash cards, singing, reading, worksheet, and writing tasks. Poster visual supports included.
• Visual-auditory, and visual-motor automaticity skills that are directly related to reading and writing are taught.
• This is a fun, and simple, intervention that can be implemented by a therapist or by a parent or other responsive/supportive adult.
• Directions are accompanied with visuals to clearly show how each step is accomplished.
The materials included are primarily designed for b – d, p – q, or d – p reversals, but the materials and many of the steps can be used with g j confusion or other student specific phonemic obstacles. Early intervention has found to be most effective in preventing reading and writing delays.
Skills developed and strategies utilized:
• Quick visual-auditory discrimination specific to reading and writing.
• Proprioceptive representation of letters.
• Quick letter naming and phonemic representation.
• Automaticity of visual-motor skills.
• Speed of visual processing.
• Visual supports during non-instructional times.
This is great! I have Kinders who consistently struggle with reversals. Thank you for sharing! I will beheading over to check out the product! Thank you